Senior User Experience Researcher
If you love the pursuit of user research discipline excellence and are inspired by defining solutions that impact how people across the globe work together, then we invite you to keep reading. This role provides a unique opportunity to work on forward leaning innovation work that will ultimately impact the experience of 100s of millions of people who use Microsoft Office … all in an environment that celebrates diversity, focuses on talent development, appreciates, recognizes, and rewards great work.
You will work hand in hand with design and engineering teams focused on developing both the underlying technologies and establishing high value customer facing scenarios for a new generation of collaboration experiences. Imagine being part of the team responsible for re-envisioning core productivity in Microsoft Office and improving the way people interact through new innovations in collaboration.
As a Research leader on our team, you’ll work alongside designers, product managers and engineering teams to explore, build, and launch ideas, and ensure they do so in a way that is deeply customer driven. You will think not only about what it means to create an awesome end user experience, but also a platform that developers are eager to build on.
In this role, you will be a member of the XC Planning & Research team. We are a growing team of over 50 researchers and planners working on a breadth of across Microsoft 365.
We are a fast-paced, results oriented group that interacts closely with partners in Design, Product Management, Data Science, and Engineering.
This role is based in Redmond, Washington and we are open to candidates interested in remote work across the U.S. as well. Our team is committed to cultivating an environment where we each feel welcome and can be equally successful regardless of our physical location.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience, that goes beyond academic training; at least 1 year of hands-on research experience in a full-time capacity
- At least 1 year of working to improve product plans and user experience (UX) in a full-time capacity
- Experience in driving inclusion and representation in your approach to research
- Experience with mixed methods, bringing together both qualitative and quantitative data
- Bachelor's Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors Engineering, Computer Science, Technical Communications, Information Science, Information Architecture, User Experience Design, Behavioral Science, Social Sciences, or related field AND 4+ years User Experience Research experience
- OR Master's Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors Engineering, Computer Science, Technical Communications, Information Science, Information Architecture, User Experience Design, Behavioral Science, Social Sciences, or related field AND 3+ year(s) User Experience Research experience
- OR Doctorate in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors Engineering, Computer Science, Technical Communications, Information Science, Information Architecture, User Experience Design, Behavioral Science, Social Sciences, or related field AND 1+ year(s) User Experience Research experience
- OR equivalent experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications:
- 3+ year(s) relevant domain experience within technology sector.
- 3+ year(s) experience in research methods impacting both product direction and detailed experience design.
- We’re also looking for someone who wants to learn, grow, and embody new ways of working. If you embrace growth mindset, have a track record of delivering results, and you light up collaborating with other planners, researchers, designers, product managers and engineers this is an awesome team to join with a culture we feel very proud to invite others into.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Drive research and UX practices that ensure diversity, equity and inclusion in our product making decisions
- Impact the engineering roadmap for the user experience using customer data (qualitative and quantitative). Key to this accountability will be identifying gaps and customer pain points, as well as potential customer delighters.
- Build and execute impactful research plan(s) that provide the broad market views and deep customer insights needed to impact UX decisions.
- Derive insights from quantitative and qualitative data, complementing other research that you will conduct on your own or in partnership with other researchers.
- Land impact broadly from your customer-focused knowledge by working across engineering, design and marketing disciplines.