Cyber Security Summer Internship 2022 - Remote
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
This internship position – which is part of the Verizon Campus Program – will give you a chance to channel your drive and enthusiasm while learning from the best minds in the industry. You’ll be front and center, hands-on and contributing your creative energy to high-impact projects from the moment you arrive through the course of this 10-week experience. You will take part in meaningful work and real-life projects within Verizon’s Corporate Information Security Cyber Defense and Engineering teams that will help you grow both professionally and personally throughout the program.
Verizon’s Corporate Information Security team protects Verizon’s global operations, assets, stakeholders, and intellectual property from cyber security threats by proactively leveraging threat intelligence, advanced security processes, and technologies to reduce the number of incidents that affect Verizon and maintaining constant vigilance, monitoring, and response to rapidly minimize the impact of incidents that do occur.
In this role, you’ll be:
- Gaining a deeper understanding of Security Operations and Cyber Defense practice for a major telecommunications company.
- Working under the supervision of cyber professionals to gain hands on experience in one or more of the following operational areas: Project Management, Secure Coding, Cloud Security, Web Development, Web Database and API Development, Enterprise Vulnerability Management, Strategic Planning and Execution (business skills), Threat Monitoring and Incident Response, Continuous Vulnerability Management, Threat Intelligence, Cyber Defense Engineering, and/or Big Data Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning.
- Performing applied research and solution design under the supervision of cyber security professionals to solve real world security issues.
- Supporting efforts and programs to improve the company’s security posture.
- Gaining knowledge of daily business operations by attending learning programs and training sessions.
- Communicating technical information to various technical and non-technical audiences.
- Participating in networking activities with other interns, professionals and business leaders.
You must be currently enrolled in a degree program and be in good academic standing to be considered
If you are interested in other roles and locations in addition to this one, please submit your application to those postings as well in order to be considered.
What we’re looking for...
You’re a motivated self-starter. Never satisfied with the status quo, you’re always trying to beat a personal best. You thrive in a fast-paced environment where new challenges come up every day. You are flexible, dependable and work well in varying environments. Learning quickly is personally rewarding and inspires you to take smart risks.
You’ll need to have:
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree program in: Information Systems, Information Security, Computer Science, Cyber Security, Data Analytics, Business IT, or related majors with an expected completion date between December 2022 and June 2023.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. without restrictions or need for future sponsorship.
- Willingness to work remotely.
Even better if you have:
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently in a remote environment.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills, communication, leadership and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a fast-moving, team environment.
- Knowledge of cybersecurity concepts and principles related to people, processes, and technology.
- Experience with some of the following technologies and disciplines:
- Programming Languages: C, C++, C#, Java, Python, HTML, Net, R
- Emerging Technology: Cloud systems such as :AWS and GCP, Big Data, Machine Learning, Splunk and logging technology, Virtualization
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).