Legal Counsel, BP China1 week ago - Shanghai - 6 views
Legal Counsel, BP China
Req ID 94016BR Job category Legal Countries (State/Region) Central Location China - Central - Shanghai Apply now
Reporting to the Managing Counsel-China Downstream, the role of Commercial Counsel supports BP’s growing and developing businesses including Retail, Aviation, Lubricants, Petrochemicals, and Advanced Mobility. Located in Shanghai, the role is one of five Counsels, one paralegal, and one administrative assistant comprising the China Downstream legal team. This role is responsible for providing strategic legal advice and counsel to senior Downstream leaders and other senior management on key legal developments and issues affecting BP China businesses. In addition to supporting growth plans, this role will also provide recommendations of legal strategy for management of key issues and to play an active role in the development and implementation of legally compliant and commercially focused business strategies .
Provide and coordinate strategic guidance and strategy for new business development in China where there may be limited to no prior BP procedure or history to rely on.
• Identifying and advising as to current regulatory compliance requirements (which are still changing and developing), spotting material risks, creating compliance processes, as well as supporting the advocacy needs of the business with emerging regulations and trends in a variety of commercial work streams.
• General legal counseling on energy, regulatory, licensing, permitting, labor, employment, litigation, health, safety, environmental, occupational risk, retail, franchise, distribution, competition law/anti-trust, real estate, corporate, contract and advertising matters.
• Be a leader within BP Legal in coaching and encouraging colleagues to work as One Team and exemplifying BP Values and Behaviors in supporting the plethora of legal issues that will arise with the new growth and existing businesses.
• Provide strategic business focused legal counseling on BP retail, aviation, lubricants, petrochemical, operational, portfolio and business development activities
• Providing legal advice and counsel to BP project teams and businesses on complex legal issues which may have significant implications on business performance.
• Providing day-to-day transactional assistance in the nature of drafting, reviewing and supporting the negotiation of various contracts and other commercial arrangements.
Bachelor degree is minimum
Essential experience and job requirements
Candidates must be able to quickly integrate into the BP culture. This means a proven track record in changing roles and transitioning smoothly into different corporate cultures. The successful candidate needs to display technical excellence and a practical approach, the ability to work independently and under pressure, prioritize and manage a substantial workload, build relationships with key stakeholders, and to navigate through a complex organisation to provide accurate legal advice without losing sight of the business perspective.
In particular the candidate must:
• Have proven track record as a Counsel with solid working experience in an international law firm, reputable local law firm or a multinational corporation for a minimum of 8 years.
• Have strong technical legal skills, combined with an ability to take a strategic view on the challenges and issues facing the business and the Legal function.
• Have solid commercial and/or transactional experience ideally with negotiating and conflict resolution experience.
• Have proven experience in managing a broad range of legal issues including retail and real estate.
• Be able to rigorously oversee and manage external counsel engagement and usage.
• Be able to quickly learn business and legal concepts related to position’s remit and prioritize substantial workloads.
• Have the ability to build and maintain strong professional working relationships and promote networking, open communication, and effective collaboration both within and outside of BP Legal.
• Have good listening skills and be willing to receive and act on feedback.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Possess substantial legal experience concerning marketing, anti-unfair competition regulations, commercial bribery regime, contracts, Foreign Direct Investment regulation, International Trade Regulation, joint ventures.
• General experience on areas of law including energy, regulatory, licensing, permitting, labor, employment, litigation, health, safety, environmental, occupational risk, franchise, distribution, and corporate.
• Be willing to undertake occasional domestic and international travel.
• Possess the highest professional and ethical standards
The successful candidate should have:
• Education and professional qualifications for a Counsel in China including successful passage of the national legal profession qualification examination
• Complete fluency in English and Chinese (Mandarin) – speaking, reading and writing, inclusive of dual language drafting
Yes - up to 10%
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
BP has been operating in China since the early 1970s and is one of the leading foreign investors in the oil & gas sector in China. Our business activities here include exploration and development, petrochemicals manufacturing and marketing, aviation fuel supply, oil products retailing, lubricants, oil and gas supply and trading, LNG terminal and trunk line and the chemicals technology licensing.
Building on its business successes in China, BP has also expanded partnerships with the national energy companies beyond the country’s borders. BP is working with CNPC in Iraq and Australia, Sinopec in Angola and Singapore, CNOOC in Australia, Indonesia and Argentina, and with China National Aviation Fuel in Singapore.
BP publishes BP Statistical Review of World Energy and BP Energy Outlook on annual basis. The publications are regarded as one of the world’s most reliable sources of energy data and are widely consulted.
In parallel, BP has been working to contribute to China society by helping address the local sustainability issues. BP has also been actively engaged in energy research activities, particularly in clean energy R&D initiatives. To date, BP’s accumulative spending on community contributions in China has exceeded US$ 50 million. BP’s community practices have been widely recognized.
BP is committed to contributing to China’s energy solutions by continuing to be a trusted energy partner and valuable contributor supporting China’s strategic development.
Corporate & Functions