Principal Technical PM Manager - AI/ML
The Azure HPC and AI product team drives the hardware roadmap, software, and services that enable our users to run technical computing workloads in Azure - HPC simulations, AI & machine learning, remote visualization, and immersive gaming experiences.
We are responsible for providing Azure customers with supercomputer-class capabilities to accelerate their research, drive competitive differentiation, and finding answers to some of the most difficult questions of science, industry, and entertainment.
Customer Solutions and Incubations (CSI) team is part of HPC and AI product team in Azure Engineering and focuses on in-bound product feedback born from hands-on customer engagements. CSI team works closely with important customers, ISVs and system integrators on some of the largest and most interesting development projects for Microsoft. From these engagements, the team extracts patterns, issues, and requirements that help drive positive change in our platform and product offerings.
This is a great opportunity to have direct impact on Microsoft's Big Computing and AI cloud offerings as well as our broader platform strategy. This is an exciting time for HPC and AI, as they are undergoing a massive shift. AI technologies are being merged with existing HPC approaches, and both are moving to the cloud. At this critical juncture, the team is expanding and is looking for a leader for team of architects and hands-on engineers leading engagements, and projects focused on our AI/ML scenarios running and optimizing AI training and inferencing workloads at large scale [think Supercomputer Scale].
This role is fully remote, and successful candidates can come from anywhere within the US. Travel would eventually be 10-20% and require the ability to work remote.
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers and working across disciplines
- 10+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience with AI workloads (preferably with a mix of customer facing delivering solution architecture; technical lead; or developer roles)
- Experience with Microsoft Azure, AWS, GCP, NVIDIA AI/ML platform
- Solid understanding of AI architecture and requirements for running multi-GPU and multi-node training and inferencing workloads [processor technology, networks, memory components etc.]
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to foster positive relationships within and outside the team
- Demonstrated ability to engage with customers and partners to understand their business needs and priorities
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Impact and grow the Azure AI/ML business by supporting the success of some of the most important customers and partners, driving innovation and thought leadership
- Be responsible for engineering execution. Work with our key partners to plan and prioritize what is important for your team and our organization.
- Represent your teams’ work, present technical challenges, solutions, and guidance to audiences including senior customer technical and business decision makers, executives, conference attendees, and internal engineering leadership.
- Drive insights from these customer engagements to influence future product releases. You will help product owners understand and prioritize customer feedback for the improvement of products and services based on the customer projects your team will be delivering.
- Develop, grow, and mentor engineers to reach higher potential.
What we are offering the ideal candidate:
- A fast paced, exciting work environment where there is always a new challenge. Direct interaction with product owners to develop skill sets Azure knowledge unmatched outside engineering.
- Opportunities to showcase your talents and help customers at the same time.
- Direct influence on product engineering decisions as you will represent the voice of the customer.
- To be successful in this challenging position, you will need exceptional cross-group leadership, collaboration, strategic thinking, and customer skills. The candidate needs to possess excellent communication and presentation skills as well as the ability to effectively interface with employees and customers at all levels. As a thought leader, the candidate will also need to have a deep understanding of the strategies and offerings of key competitors.